7.01.2011

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Kontakte (1959)


allmusic:

Kontakte is the epitome of Stockhausen's pioneering "moment form," characterized by long periods of inactivity broken by sudden changes. The prepared tape used in the work consists of a variety of metallic effects, some sped up to create radically different sounds and timbres. Probably Stockhausen's most famous work, Kontakte has been performed in two versions, one with four-channel tape and another with four-channel tape with added piano and percussion. The only widely available version, released on Ecstatic Peace, was recorded in Toronto in 1978 with tape plus pianist James Tenney and percussionist William Winant.

320

7 comments:

  1. Have you ever listened to an album called Tago Mago by Can? It's great stuff. Judging from your other albums, you might like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great one. I'm a big fan of Can and Krautrock in general as well. In fact, Can's drummer Holger Czukay studied under Stockhausen as a young man, so it's fitting you should bring it up here

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting. I'm not sure how interested you are in hearing more recommendations, but since I am loving everything you've got on here, and it's mostly new to me, I feel like I want to reciprocate in some way. One album that had a big impact on me was Bible of Dreams by Juno Reactor. Not for everyone, but powerful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, man. I got into him as a student at BYU and somehow had forgotten this gem since then. My hat's off to you, sir!

    ReplyDelete